Tuesday, January 06, 2004

Blogging Terms

I'm going to break my number one rule about blogging: NEVER TALK ABOUT BLOGGING!

But, I read blogs - and there are a couple of things I've noticed...

BlogNosing
A variant of brown-nosing, this is the practice of always saying nice things about other people on your blog. Example: Bill did a great job of blah blah blah.. Bill always is right... blah, blah, blah. Don't get me wrong, often people will do good work and it should be acknowledged, but you know when you're BlogNosing...

Tightly Coupled Blogs
This is the practice of assuming that everyone reads your blog (and all of your friends blogs) every day and that in effect they have tuned into your mini-soap opera. I believe that Tightly Coupled Blogs were invented by Microsoft employees. Example: Don farted, then Gudge laughed, but that was cool because Tim and Dave from the Sicily project were walking by (in building 42) and it really didn't smell that bad... A person should be able to read a single entry in your blog - and it should be able to stand on its own. Long Running Conversations that carry Session and Identity between posts is a bad practice... don't worry, I won't do a Blog Coupling Index.

BlogSlapping
Although I didn't invent this... I do feel that I've mastered it ;-) This is the practice of calling someone out on something stupid that they've said/written. Quite frankly, I don't think there is enough BlogSlapping in the world today. In the near future, I'm considering having a special "BlogSlap Schneider Day", (one free pop shot) just to give everyone a little practice. :-) Damn, That will be FUN!

And no, these aren't 'blogging patterns'

No comments: