Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Stuck in the Middle

This is from a slide deck that was put together in 1997:
The [I] box stands for 'intermediary'.


See: http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/wbi/Publications.html

Intermediary-based programming is still an art. Everyone wants to talk about services... service oriented this, service oriented that... but no one want to talk about "intermediary oriented". I guess it isn't very sexy. I've challenged the SO group to discuss the NFR's of an intermediary; should be interesting. I've also had some interesting discussions on the categories of intermediaries, including stateless, stateful, 'context oriented', header-only processing, payload processing and more.

I have a feeling that a significant focus of 2005 will be on the intermediary programming model. We'll see great discussions on IOD (design) and IOA (architecture) and refactoring portions of fat services into bumps on the network.

No comments: